Thursday, March 3, 2011

4 More classes!

We are getting tired of these MAPP classes! It's not the classes themselves, so much as the hassle to get there, but 10 weeks is a long time! I guess they are really trying weed out those that aren't serious about committing to adopting a hurt child. We have begun to talk more about how to parent these hurt children. Basically it is positive parenting, being proactive versus reactive, which in my opinion, is a great approach with any child. Although I do admit a lot of my parenting is reactive, I do try to be proactive and follow through with consequences, but some days reacting is the best I can do!
We have turned in our family profile, with a letter to the child we may be matched with, to tell them a little bit about our family, and pictures of us and the house. Now we are working on our background check stuff, getting fingerprints, schools records for the kids, health certificates, personal references, even vaccination records for the cat and dog! But even through all of this we are getting excited about the thought of a new family member. The kids talk about it a lot now and we will occasionally talk about how things will be when the new child comes home. I have days that I am excited about it and days that I think "What on earth are we doing!?" I do think that uncertainty is what really makes us rely on God through all of this though. We don't have much control over all of this process, so it is great to just realize that and stop and put it in God's powerful, able hands. Knowing He's got it under control really calms my anxieties and doubts, when I stop to remember that!
Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed,
   for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
   great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23 

Some days I am completely overwhelmed by my to do list, or even just making it through the day, and I cling to the promises of my Great God, knowing that He is with me in my mistakes, doubts, troubles, and that in these things I can bring Him glory because I could not make it through them without Him. I love being able to look back on my trials and see how He has brought me through them gracefully. Without grace we would have no hope, so I think that in parenting, as well as any other relationship, grace should be what we strive to share, it seems to be the answer to almost anything! I think that giving a child grace they may have never before experienced will be powerful enough to help them overcome their unfortunate past.
This has been "Deep Thoughts With Jen" , thank you for joining us.

No comments:

Post a Comment