Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Why do we want to adopt?

I have come to realize that not everyone lives in the land of Kevin and Jen, well maybe geographically, but not mentally or emotionally, so you may have a hard time understanding why we would want to adopt a child. After all, we have 4 wonderful, healthy kids, 2 boys and 2 girls, that's perfect..... why would we want to mess that up?! Or, why on earth do we want more mouths to feed, messes to clean, more stress and aggravation? But all of those things focus on us, individually and as a family. Because of our faith and who we have become in Christ (we haven't always been this way) we see things differently now. Simply put, it's not about us. Don't get me wrong, there are times that I want to scream "What about me?!", but the Holy Spirit guides me and comforts me and I get over it, besides I have a wonderful husband who senses when anything is bugging me and he steps in to save me however he can. But this self-lessness is not something we really try to do, we are just compelled, willed, given that ability by God, because He is selfless and through Christ enables us to be that way too. Philippians 2:3 &4 says: " Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,  not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." That's what we are doing. We are going to be able to care for a precious, broken child who has lived a life more horrible than we can imagine, showing that child love, compassion, and being able to show them what "family" really is. We get the opportunity to change their life and help them become a wonderful person in spite of what they have been through. We get to teach them about the cleansing love of our Savior and that they were beautifully and wonderfully made by God, just for us to love. We don't really expect anything in return, but it would be nice to receive some of that love back. Oh, we know it won't be easy or fun sometimes, but neither are our biological children. For example yesterday, for a number of reasons I was having a bad day, and so were the kids. There was arguing, fighting, yelling, and I was ready to just quit ( I threaten that often), but you know what, today is a new day, we still love each other and I still feel so blessed to have each of them. Yeah, having more kids means more of those days, but it's all worth it if in the end if I have made a difference in their lives. I learn so much from my kids and I can only hope that more kids means I'll be even wiser(or completely nuts). We do have a lot on our plate, but I  know that God will just give us a bigger plate, he always does. We are so thankful to have so many wonderful people around us that have helped us become who we are today, and those who encourage us and still want to admit they know us, even though we may seem like we are totally nuts. We feel like, by putting others first, we benefit, which doesn't make sense, unless you know Jesus and what He's done for you. He is the ultimate example of self-lessness, and He is King-very backwards from the ways of this world-but that's what keeps us going! We hope to have the same compassion for others and value everyone, regardless of what their past was, having hope in the future. We realize we probably won't ever have fancy material items, or a fat bank account, but hopefully when we are gone from this world, we will have made a difference, left a legacy, and people will remember us for the love we shared. I honestly believe it's what we were made to do, to share God's love with everyone! Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment